What is an Epoxy Coating?
Epoxy coatings are generally packaged in two parts that are mixed prior to application. The two parts consist of:
1): an epoxy resin which is cross-linked with
2): a co-reactant or hardener. Epoxy coatings are formulated based upon the performance requirements for the end product.
When properly catalyzed and applied, epoxies produce a hard, chemical and solvent resistant finish. They are typically used on concrete and steel to give resistance to water, alkali and acids. It is the specific selection and combination of the epoxy component and the hardener component that determines the final characteristics and suitability of the epoxy coating for a given environment.
During the reaction epoxies become highly adhesive, bonding to the surface onto which they are poured. Epoxies can bond easily to most surfaces such as metal, tiles, wood and concrete. Epoxies are popular in construction as once hardened they become very mechanically and chemically stable.
There are two main compound types which can be combined to create an epoxy; one substance is a resin while the other is added for hardening. These can contain a range of different chemicals depending on the finish that is required. The resin component is often clear or lightly coloured and odourless. In contrast the hardening compound is often darker in colour and has a strong smell. Mixing these components together using a specified technique irreversibly creates the epoxy.
Click to expand image
What is it used for?
Epoxies are used in a variety of scenarios, such as adhesives, for carbon fibre and glass reinforced plastic. Commonly used in the construction industry, epoxies are ideal as a floor coating where the epoxy coats a base material such as concrete, enhancing its properties.
Some popular areas where an epoxy floor could be an ideal solution are:
- Stores and show rooms
- Dog kennels
- Hair salons
- Auto shops
- Jail Cells
- Dialysis Centers
Coloured silica can also be added to the epoxy which can give a very attractive finish. Also, great levels of creativity can be produced by designing patterns combining different coloured epoxies which can be very vibrant and aesthetically pleasing.
Click to expand image
What are the Benefits of Epoxy?
Using an epoxy floor coating over your concrete floors will create a high gloss, hard wearing, and durable surface. These floor coatings offer a number of benefits and advantages from the initial installation stages to the long-term maintenance steps. For example, epoxy floor coatings are quick to install and are durable and easy to clean. Because of the many advantages that epoxy floor paint offers, this is an ideal flooring solution for many types of situations.
The following are some of the main advantages associated with choosing an epoxy floor coating for your commercial or industrial building. Your new epoxy floor coating will:
- Create an easy to clean, seamless surface: Our epoxy floor coating products dry to become durable, seamless surfaces that can easily be wiped free of dirt, dust, and debris. Because of this ability for easy cleaning, our epoxy floor coating services are ideal for food, beverage, and pharmaceutical preparation and packaging plants. Whilst being slip-resistant, epoxies are also extremely chemical resistant making them ideal for places where any hazardous substances, such as alkalis, gasoline, grease and solvents are in use.
- Result in a hard wearing and durable surface: Our epoxy floor coating products turn concrete floors into a seamless and durable, high performance surface that will last for years to come.
- Provide an attractive flooring surface: Our epoxy floor coatings dry to a high gloss shine and are available in a variety of different colors and styles. You can chose to use one solid color or create a decorative pattern using several colors in order to create an attractive and durable flooring solution.
- Become a chemically resistant surface: Epoxy floor coatings are a chemically resistant flooring option for manufacturing plants, warehouses, and industrial plants.
- Improve safety: Our epoxy floor coating products can improve safety by creating a slip, impact, heat, and fire resistant flooring solution. These high gloss floor coatings can also improve brightness in a work area by 300%.
- Allow for designated traffic and work zones: We can use different colors of our epoxy floor coating products simultaneously to define safety zones, forklift traffic zones, and other work zones.
- Increase productivity capabilities: Using epoxy floor coatings in a factory, warehouse, or industrial plant can reduce wear on transport vehicles, allow for faster material movement, and prevent wear and damage to the floor. The resins and hardeners can be adjusted to alter the elasticity of the finished surface, which make epoxies ideal for the construction industry where heavy loads would otherwise cause damage.
- Offer an environmentally friendly flooring solution: Epoxy floor coatings are an environmentally friendly flooring solution for companies interested in choosing “green” alternatives and building materials.
- Allow for quick and easy application: Our epoxy floor coatings are self-leveling products. This allows our experienced professionals to apply an epoxy floor coating quickly over any new or old concrete floors.
- Offer a cost efficient flooring solution: Epoxy floor coating installation from our professional and experienced epoxy flooring providers is an affordable flooring solution. The durable and hard wearing surface that results from our floor coatings will last for years to come with little to no need for maintenance or up keep costs. Epoxies are ideal when a surface is needed which has a high resistance to heat and chemicals, excellent adhesion, a high friction coefficient, and excellent insulating properties.
Click to expand image